Pie Making Class with Julie Willis
What a fun and delicious night making and tasting both sweet and savory pies. Many thanks to Julie Willis for teaching another great ACE event!
Here is the pie crust recipe that Julie has adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons chilled butter
- 6 tablespoons chilled shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour, sugar and salt. Add chilled butter and shortening, working quickly, using fingers or pastry blender. Mixture should resemble course meal.
- Sprinkle ice water, 2-3 tablespoons, toss with fork.
- Turn dough onto work surface; use heel of hand, smear dough away from you.
- Scrape it into a ball, wrap in wax paper.
- Chill for 2 hours.